Studying in France

Achieving your academic ambitions in France

The Office of Student Affairs offers guidance to all ESSEC students regardless of their nationality or program of study. If you have a question, or need help resolving a problem, do not hesitate to contact the office. A staff member will work with you to find the answer or solution you need.


    Moving to France with family

  • What procedures do I need to follow?

    First, check whether your spouse and/or children need visas. This will depend on their nationality, place of residence, and the duration of and reason for their stay.
    If it is determined that you need a visa, please contact the French Consulate nearest you.

    It is possible that your family will need to submit an "attestation d’accueil" (proof of accommodation) to obtain a visa.

    Note: you will need a “justificatif de domiciliation” (proof of residence in France) to obtain their visa.
    If this applies to you, it is important to secure housing without delay.

    Next, check whether they will need a temporary residence permit upon their arrival in France.

    This list details the administrative documents to provide for a stay in France. It will be very useful to you as you prepare for your stay, whether you will be on your own or accompanied by family.



  • What are the weather conditions in France ?

    France has a temperate climate with average temperatures of between 0°C  and 8°C (32°F and 46°F) in winter and between 16°C and 24°C (60°F and 75°F) in summer.

    For the weather forecast the day of your arrival, visit Météo France.



  • How can I get a student loan in France?

    In case you are not a French citizen, you must have a guarantor in France whose credit check is sufficient to cover your loan.
    You are highly recommended to submit your loan application with one of the banks near ESSEC as these are familiar with ESSEC students’ cases.

    For American citizens or residents wishing to apply for US Direct Loan, ESSEC is a
    member of the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) program.
    When registering, use ESSEC's identification number:

    More details about US Direct Loans for students admitted to ESSEC


  • Can I work while studying in France?

    An apprenticeship program is open to students under the age of 26 from all nationalities (except Algeria).
    By choosing this program, you will be dividing your time between classes and the company that pays you a salary to cover your tuition and other expenses.

    Apprenticeships are available in six programs:
    • Master of Science in Management
    Advanced Master in International Business Law and Management
    • Advanced Master in International Supply Management
    Advanced Master in Information Systems and Telecommunication Networks
    MBA in Hotel Management
    • EPSCI Bachelor in Business Administration

    As a full-time international student, you do not have the right to take a full-time job. It is therefore not possible to work during your studies in France to finance your stay.
    Moreover, the course load would not leave you enough time for anything but your studies.

    ESSEC also offers a certain number of research positions, remunerated with research grants that are deducted from your tuition.
    Only students with tuition to pay are eligible for a research position.

    Note: to work off the ESSEC campus (20 hours/week maximum), non-EU students will need a temporary work permit in addition to the residence permit before they may begin working.


  • How do I get a temporary work permit?

    The procedure to follow is detailed in this brochure made available by the Office of Student Affairs.



  • How do I get to the ESSEC campus?

    From Roissy-Charles de Gaulle Airport.
    • The RER B train line will take you into central Paris. At the Châtelet-Les Halles station, transfer to the RER A and continue to Cergy-Préfecture.
    • By bus, Line 95-18 provides the fastest commute to Cergy, linking Roissypôle to Cergy-Pontoise in just one hour.

    From Paris.
    The most practical solution is RER A: your commuting time to Cergy-Préfecture will vary from only 25 minutes from La Défense to one hour from the east of Paris. The entrance to the school is only a three-minute walk from the RER once you have arrived.
    Consult the interactive map of Paris and the train and metro schedules provided by the RATP, the Paris mass transit network.

    If you are coming by car, plan on a 40 minutes drive in low traffic conditions from Porte de Clichy or Porte de Clignancourt and one hour from Place de l’Etoile. Visit Mappy to plan your itinerary in more detail.

    ESSEC is located on Avenue Bernard Hirsch BP 50105
    95021 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex France
    Tel. +33 (0)1 34 43 30 00
    Fax +33 (0)1 34 43 30 01


  • How do I get to Cergy?

    The STIVO bus network (16 lines) serves the greater Cergy-Pontoise community seven days a week, from 5:30 a.m. until midnight.


    Healthcare, social security and other insurance

  • How can I benefit from French social security coverage?

    If you are under the age of 28.
    You must register for French social security for students.
    Please note that special cases may apply. For more information, please visit

    Registration is free of charge for students under the age of 20 on October 1st.
    For students aged 20 and over, with the exception of special provisions, the registration fee (as of 2006) is €189.

    Students generally register for the social security at the same time that they register at ESSEC.
    You may register at either of two centers: LMDE (601) or SMEREP (617). These centers also offer optional additional coverage (the “mutuelle”).

    Students aged 28 and over on October 1st, and therefore cannot benefit from the student social security scheme, may in certain cases receive free universal healthcare coverage (the “couverture maladie universelle” or CMU, visit or take out a private expat insurance policy from ESSEC’s Office of Student Affairs.

    If you are in an internship and have employee status, you will need to register for the general social security scheme.
    You must however register for the student social security again when your internship contract terminates and maintain this status until you obtain your degree.


  • What insurance do I need to be in compliance with regulations?

    In France, you must take out various types of insurance, including in private housing insurance, travel insurance, automobile insurance and bank card insurance.
    You must also have health insurance to cover you in the event of illness.


  • What do I do if I become ill?

    General practitioners and specialists are available.
    Pharmacists are also able to advise you on the appropriate medication to take depending on your illness.

    To learn more about access to healthcare in France, visit


  • How much does healthcare cost?

    Your social security coverage will cover 70% of your healthcare expenses.
    For more information about healthcare costs and rembursement procedures, visit Egide website.